Blesfontein Guest Farm (Unit 5 and 6)
Contact Nicol and Marina van der Merwe
Tel:+27(0)23 5712 631
Cell:+27 (0)83 444 5810
Click on ‘Make a booking enquiry’ above to email Blesfontein directly.
Blesfontein Guest Farm offers various self-catering accommodation options. Situated in the beautiful Roggeveld, near the Visrivier (Fish River), Blesfontein boasts a farm experience away from the hustle and bustle of city life, but is still close enough for visitors to spend some time in Sutherland. Enjoy scenic drives and viewpoints all in close range from our farm.
Let your children meet and touch a wide variety of farm animals like ponies, cows, chicken, dwarf goats, bottle fed lambs, ostriches, donkeys, miniature pigs, rabbits, peacocks, geese and ducks.
The tame farmyard animals are harmless and friendly. Although all the animals are fed regularly you are allowed to feed them at any time of the day.
On Blesfontein you may see Blesbok, Gemsbok, Springbok, Duiker, Steenbok, Grey Rheebuck, Zebra and Black Wildebeest.
Several smaller species like the African Wild cat, Lynx, Mongoose, Porcupine, Black back jackal and the Skunk occur on the farm. We have seen more than 30 bird species and several reptiles.
In the cement reservoir next to the Poplar trees down the hill we have 10 big Koi Fish and several smaller Koi Fish. You are allowed to feed them special Koi Fish pellets (In a bottle hidden under a bush near the dam) and PLEASE only about 20 pellets at a time.
The tame farmyard animals are harmless and friendly. Although all the animals are fed regularly you are allowed to feed them at any time of the day. We sell buckets of animal food @ R 10 each.
We have a colorful herd of horses – Appaloosa and SA Standard Boerperd - on the farm. We breed, train and sell Appaloosas. Game viewing on horseback, as well as Pony Rides for small kids can be done every day, as long as the weather allows it.
We also have a small Alpaca herd. They are the beginning of our new eco-friendly predator control program as Alpacas are known to join sheep herds and protect them from the jackal and the lynx.
We rent out our 4X4 @ R 130/ trip to visitors to go on a game drive to the escarpment. (as our 4X4 is rather old, we do not rent it out for trips outside our own boundaries). You are also welcome to use your own vehicle, at no additional cost, on any of our farm roads.
Also, view the colourful displays of wildflowers in Spring!
Our accommodation includes the following:
5. The Calves Stable
The Calves Stable is a self-catering unit suitable for a couple and one child. This building used to be the stable where calves were kept at night - away from their mothers (next door) to prevent them from drinking all the milk. During the day they were left out with their mothers to drink as much milk as they wished. The room has a double bed, a bathroom with shower and Fire place/inside braai. The unit also has its own kitchen. You will enjoy a beautiful view from the bedroom.
6. The Hay Stable
This is a self-catering unit for family of four. The hay stable used to be where the hammer mill minced the hay and Lucerne for the cattle to eat.
The unit consists of a living room with a single bed, a bedroom with double and single bed and a bathroom with shower.
The unit also has its own kitchen and a fire place.
You will enjoy a lovely view from kitchen and patio.
Meals available on Blesfontein
• Breakfast: R 100 (adults); R 50 (kids)
• Formal 3 course dinner: R300 (adults); R 80 (kids) (to be booked in advance)
• Take away lamb chops and chips: R 100 (supper) (Adult portions only, so if you want smaller portions for kids, book a normal portion and share it yourself please)
• Take away curry and rice: R 70 (supper) (Adult portions only, so if you want smaller portions for kids, book a normal portion and share it yourself please)
PLEASE NOTE THAT TAKE AWAYS WILL BE DELIVERED TO YOUR LIVING UNIT AND NOT BE EATEN IN THE MAIN DINING ROOM
• Although we respect Halaal, Vegan or Vegetarian visitors – we unfortunately are unable to cater food for these guests, and they would therefore need to cater for themselves.
A non returnable deposit of 50% is payable to confirm booking. The rest can be settled when you leave Blesfontein. We do not have card facilities on the farm.
Time of arrival: Not earlier than 14:00
Time of departure: Not later than 11: 00
We need some time to be able to properly clean the living units and change and wash the linen and towels before our new guests arrive. You are however welcome to be out on the farm after 11:00 on your day of departure or before 14:00 on your day of arrival.
From Blesfontein it takes about 40min to drive to Sutherland and another 20min to the Observatory. Most of the road between Sutherland and Blesfontein is gravel – we do our best to keep it in order. You do not need a 4X4, but a little more ground clearance will always help.
We have been inspected by the Tourism Grading Council of SA and was approved as a Two star graded Guest House.
We do not have a liquor license, and do not officially sell liquor, but will help out from our private collection of cold beer and several wines.
There is MTN signal in our house and on other higher areas of the farm, as well as for parts of the road between Sutherland and Blesfontein, but unfortunately Vodacom and Cell C signal only in Sutherland. Wifi available in main house. (password: 34445810)
• Your tariffs do not include food. Please refer to separate menu page.
• Make sure hot water instructions were explained and are understood. Failure to do so may result in a cold shower.
TARRIFS FOR EXTRAS:
• Accommodation (self catering sharing) R330/person/night
Single tariff: R400 pppn
• Honeymoon suite: 350/person/night
• Children ( under 12 sharing with parents): R 120
(Small children in own carry cots or sharing parents’ bed do not pay.)
Breakfast: R100 per person / R50 per child
Dinner: Three course meal: R300 per person (R80 per child);
Takeaway Curry: R70; Takeaway lamb chops: R100
• Drive to escarpment (our vehicle): R 130 (per drive)
• Firewood (per bag/ crate): R 30
• Horse Riding ( 1 hour out ride): R 150
• Long ride with snacks and drinks: R500
(Half a day trip to escarpment and bigger game area. Only for groups of 3 or more competent riders on prior arrangement on perfect weather days. )
• 30 min walk pony ride in arena : R 80
• Very short pony ride in arena: R 50
• 3km assisted pony ride: R 100
• Horse riding lesson (up to 70kg): R 200
- Rate: • Accommodation (self catering sharing) R330/person/night Single tariff: R400 pppn • Honeymoon suite: 350/person/night • Children ( under 12 sharing with parents): R 120 (Small children in own carry cots or sharing parents’ bed do not pay.)
- Physical Address: Blesfontein is situated 28 km South West of Sutherland in the Northern Cape. It covers 3060HA of land and is farmed together with Bo-Plaas ( 5023HA) and De Hoop ( 2217HA). Guest Farm accommodation situated 28km South West of Sutherland on the Bo-Visrivier Road.
- Grading: 2 Star Tourism Grading Council Of South Africa